Sol Speech & Language Therapy begins by getting to know your child and building rapport through play and/or conversation.
We then shift to the formal part of the evaluation, which can often be completed through the use of standardized tests, as well as an iPad, a game, or a story.
Sol Speech & Language Therapy always tries to assess a child’s speech and language skills using fun activities to help the child feel at ease.
We also collect a thorough case history from caregivers and observe the child in play/while speaking.
What Does a Speech and Language Evaluation Assess?
A speech and language evaluation provides the speech language pathologist, as well as the family, with valuable information such as:
- The type of sound errors that occur
- In which context sound errors occur
- Whether sound errors are age-appropriate, delayed, or atypical
- Whether sound errors are linked to anatomy and musculature (e.g., a tongue-tie, tongue thrust, dental occlusion, velopharyngeal insufficency, muscle weakness)
- What area(s) of language the child is having trouble with (e.g., vocabulary, social language, understanding language, oral expression).
- Whether the child as atypical voice and/or fluency skills
What Is Included in My Speech and Language Report?
Finally, our Sol Speech & Language therapists will synthesize the information gathered from caregiver report, formal assessment (i.e., standardized testing), and informal assessment (i.e., play, clinical observation, conversation), and complete an evaluation report, which includes the following:
- background information,
- information taken from previous evaluations and/or services
- testing results,
- speech and language recommendations
- If, at this point, we believe the child is in need of speech and language therapy, the evaluation will also include a plan of care, made up of short and long term goals to target in therapy sessions.
Every speech and language report is thorough, comprehensive, and personalized for every client.
Upon request, it can be shared with insurance companies, other providers, and/or anyone closely involved with the client’s plan of care.
Book an Appointment With Sol Speech & Language Therapy Today
If you live in the Austin area and have concerns about you or your child’s speech and/or language, click here for more information on our speech and language evaluation and/or speech therapy services for both children and adults.
If you’re ready to take the next step, reach out today for a free phone consultation.Sol Speech & Language Therapy
6448 E Hwy 290 Suite E-106,
Austin, TX 78723
Sol Speech & Language Therapy is located in sunny Austin, Texas and offers personalized skilled intervention to those struggling with their speech and language skills. Services offered include screening, consultation, and comprehensive evaluation. We also provide one-on-one and/or group therapy for speech sound disorders, receptive/expressive language delay/disorder, stuttering/cluttering, accent reduction, and much more.